Death and taxes

Who remembers my list of why 2007 sux ass? Anyone? Anyone?

Well, I have another item to add to the “this is the year from hell” list. This morning, I went to my local post office to pick up two certified letters. The first indication that something malicious was afoot was when the postal clerk, upon seeing the addressor, flipped over the envelopes as to shield the addressor from public view. Oh, she also made a smirk, and not a good one.

The letters came from my state’s department of revenue. Never good. Upon entering my car, I immediately opened the first letter. It stated that I owed $4,700 for tax year 2003, and with added interest and penalties I owed over $5,700. After nearly shitting my pants, I proceeded to open the next envelope. This one stated that I owed nearly the exact amount for tax year 2004. Yeah, so apparently this retard of a state thinks I owe them nearly $11,000 in back taxes.

I then drive to work, thinking to my self how much my life sux and how in hell I could owe that much money when I was in law school fulltime in 2003 and 2004. Yeah.

(What year was it that I was a male whore?)

Naturally, I call my tax-guru law school classmate and ask her “what the fuck.” She is confused as much as I am, considering she filed my taxes for 2002 when I did actually work. Interestingly, for that year I only made like $4,000 total working as a clerk for an asshat lawyer who refused to make me a W-2 employee, but in stead preferred me to be a 1099 independent contractor. But, still, I didn’t make enough to have $4,000 in STATE taxes due.

One of the options allowed at this point, in addition to paying the sums (naturally), is to file a letter of protest, which I have already drafted. A co-worker of mine who regularly appears before this state’s tax commission recommended I put “Attorney at Law” on the letterhead and that I carbon copy the Attorney General of this fair (ha!) state. Anyone else want to receive a copy?

If the department of revenue rejects my explanation in my letter of protest, I will need to head the capital (most boring city to ever exist) to appear before an administrative body for a formal hearing. Fun! (We all know how much I love public speaking.)

Anyway, in sum, 2007 blows.

Labels: , , ,


About this entry