Voyage

I am planning a trip to Europe. I haven’t bought a ticket or anything, but I am planning nonetheless. My travel companion – my sister – can only take two weeks off, so that’s all we can do. Two weeks isn’t much for Europe, but, for now, it will have it do. We are planning an October trip. The good thing about October is that all the annoying backpackers are gone and the weather should be a bit more bearable. Also, attractions usually lower their entry fees, as well. Hopefully, so will the hostels. Fuck, do hostels allow 30 year olds? Shit. I just thought of that.

I am going with my sister for two reasons. First, she has not been back to Europe since 1994; so, that’s also the last time that she had visited our 86 year old grandmother. My g’ma has been bugging my mom about the lack of visit from the grand-daughter, so this visit should shut her up for awhile. (Did that sound mean?) Second, I have never been on a trip with only my sister. Sure, we’ve done the family vacation thing and the occasional trip to the Lake of the Ozarks, but nothing this extended. I’m curious to see how this will turn out. She and I get along rather remarkably, but can get on each other’s last nerve after an extended period of time. She’s pretty independent, so she will have to learn to depend on me. And, because she knows I’m kind of a dork, she will have to put up with my usual: “hey, look at that cool castle.”

This is what we are planning on doing: Fly from St.L. to Budapest. Then, the same day, take the fast train (the one that doesn’t stop at every fucking hole-in-the-earth small town) – to Kosice, Slovakia, where my g’ma lives. Stay with her for a minimum of 3 days. My sister wants to stay longer, but I don’t. Don’t get me wrong, I love her, but I want to see more than her sitting in her kitchen in her moo-moo (“otthonka”). Kosice is also nice, but when you’ve seen all one wants to see, it’s done.

From Kosice, I want to go to Krakow, Poland. It’s just 3-4 hours by train directly north. Stay there for two days, and then off to Prague. I love Prague. I’ve been there several times; once I spent a good four weeks there. When I told my mom that we are going to Prague, she asked why we don’t stay with this one dood. Um, mom, because he hates me. And, why? Oh, because while I stayed at his house, I kinda messed around with his then girlfriend. Though the girl is now married to someone completely different, I would surmise that he may hold a grudge. After Prague, the plan is to visit either Vienna, Austria, Bratislava, Slovakia, or both. This completely depends timing. I say both because they are just a 1.5 hour train ride away from each other. But, I think Vienna is dull. And, in October, it has the potential to be dull and gray, which does not make for a pleasant combination. After that, and for the remainder of our time, back to Budapest. She and I both speak the language, so it will not only be fun but easier.

The monkey wrench in this whole plan is my brother. He is planning a separate trip to only Slovakia with his friend in mid-October as well. If he sends us word that he wants to meet up somewhere, we’d have to discuss it. So, who knows…

Anyway, the point to this long-ass, nonsensical post is that I am really excited. Do I have the money to go? No. But, that has never stopped me before, so why now?

Labels: , ,


About this entry