Parenthood is tough

I took Fritz to the vet for the second time in two weeks.

A few days after I arrived home from Europe, I noticed a mass under his fur. It was located near his rib cage, on his right side. I immediately took him to the vet, who said that the lump could be an allergic reaction to an insect/spider bite. She put him on antibiotics and Benadryl.

Today, a week+ later, I decided to take him in again. A new vet. He decided to take a sample of the fluid within the lump. It was all blood, and out the window flew the allergic reaction theory. He surmised that it may be a result of some blunt trauma. He extracted 4cc, which doesn't sound like a lot, but when seen inside a needle it was. Poor guy.

The lump is still there. He told me to keep him on the antibiotics until it runs out. And, if the lump remains, I will need to take him in again to have it fully drained -- surgically.

Scary.

Labels: ,


About this entry