Brief Rant

I was shopping and spending way too much money this afternoon to watch, but I have to complain about Katie Couric’s new CBS evening news program. For the record, I have nothing negative to say about her abilities as an anchor. Actually, I think she is doing quite a good job. My issue here is with the show itself. Basically, the show has become a half hour edition of Dateline NBC. Yesterday, two news stories were discussed. TWO: the Amish shootings in Pennsylvania and the Foley scandal. Come on. What ever happened to the “world news” in the “evening ‘world news’”? Sad.

Is anyone else loving this Foley affair? Not only is it hilarious to listen to news anchors read the instant messages, but watching the Republican leadership wiggle and squirm in response to their own ineptitude is classic. Oh, and how disgusting does Dennis Hastert look? He’s so fat, he’s eyes are nearly swollen shut.

Lastly, isn’t it pathetic that a scandal involving a perve Congressman and his instant messages may inevitably unravel the Republicans, but an ongoing war taking the lives of our service-people, the passage of laws and regulations limiting our civil liberties, or a foreign policy that is a joke can’t make even a dent on their grip on power. What does that say about the citizens of the US?

About this entry